If you’ve read any of our previous blogs you should be aware by now of the part that professional carpet cleaning plays in prolonging the life of your carpet. But you may just be wondering how to keep your carpets looking good in between professional cleans and how to tackle spills and stains.
Here’s 7 tips and tricks to help with stains and keep your carpets looking like new.
1. Always blot
If you’ve spilled something on your carpet then grab a clean cloth or paper towel and blot carefully from outside-in to take out as much of the moisture as possible. Do not be tempted to rub or scrub as this will only spread the stain further.
2. Keep away from shop bought stain removers
Without naming any names, we’ve seen first hand the damage that many of these products bring. Not just ineffective, they also cause damage to carpets and fabrics that can’t be repaired. If you’re unsure about using a particular product, then make up a mixture of mild vinegar and water or just use water on its own for safe carpet cleaning.
3. How to remove wax
We all love to use candles in our homes but what happens if you drop some of the wax onto your carpet? It might at first seem impossible to remove wax from your carpet without pulling out a handful of fibres, but it can be easily removed by applying heat. Simply put a plain cloth over the carpet where the wax is and place a warm iron on top of that to soften the wax. Then use a blunt knife to scrape it off the surface of the carpet.
4. Vacuum regularly
It’s always a good idea to vacuum your carpet every few days. Regular vacuuming removes the dust and soils which if not removed will sink to the bottom of the carpet and degrade the fibres. Not only does your carpet look better after a vacuum but it will prolong its life too.
5. Invest in protection
Carpet protection such as Scotchguard helps stop stains from penetrating the fibres of your carpets and upholstery which makes it easier to remove them. It also prevents dry soil from sticking to your carpet and becoming abrasive. If you’ve splurged the cash on an expensive carpet then it’s worthwhile spending a little more on a protector.
6. Follow the correct procedure for stain removal
- Using a paper towel or clean white cloth blot up what you can see of the immediate spillage
- Carry on blotting the stain with dry cloths until as much as possible of the surface stain has gone
- Make a mix of fresh water and white vinegar using 4 parts to 1
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle and spray it over the affected area, a little at a time
- Blot the area again to remove excess moisture and repeat the process again until all of the stain has disappeared
- Place kitchen towels over the area and place something heavy on top of the towels to absorb moisture and help dry the carpet.
- Leave for a couple of hours before removing the kitchen towels. If the stain is no longer visible and hasn’t transferred onto the kitchen towels, then it has been successfully removed. If there are still signs of the stain, then call in a professional carpet cleaner.
7. Book regular professional carpet cleaning
If you have a family and your carpets get regularly walked on then invest in a professional carpet clean annually, or if you have pets, then every six months may be necessary. If there is just you alone, then once every 18 months should suffice. You’ll be amazed at the difference it makes to your home.
Leaving it too late before getting your carpet cleaned can cause damage to the carpt fibres and may make it more difficult to clean.
If your carpet is in need of a professional clean, then call the experts, Carpet Cleaning Kings on 1300 7000 75 for a quote. We look forward to hearing from you.